Tucker First United Methodist Church | 5095 LaVista Road, Tucker GA 30084 | 770-938-3030
Saturday, November 22, 2014
We plan to add to this page about once a month, so check back for more of our history. Better yet, come be a part of TFUMC, and help us write the next chapter in our history together!
How we began
In 1904 the Reverend Paul Connolly, a member of the North Georgia Conference was the pastor of the Norcross Circuit. He saw the need of a church in the small community of Tucker. At this time the village of Tucker consisted of Main Street, which ran from near the railroad to Lawrenceville Highway. The school was on this street. There were two stores: a general store which housed the Post Office and was operated by Alf Chewning and the second store was owned by George England and his son, Junius. It was on the Lawrenceville Highway across from Browning’s Court House.
Rev. Connolly found a group of families who wanted a church nearer their homes and began to organize a congregation. They built a brush arbor near the schoolhouse. This served as a meeting place in the summer, but during the winter months they held services in the school building. From old records, Rev. Connolly did the preaching and by 1904 there were forty-four members. Pews for the arbor were brought from Mount Calvary a church located on Lawrenceville Highway, near the DeKalb Gwinnett County line. This information is given in the history of the Harmony Grove Church. Mount Calvary had ceased to function and the pews were bought and hauled to the arbor by mule team.
In the fall of 1904 the Reverend John L. Hall became the first assigned pastor of the church serving on the Duluth Charge. Immediately they began laying plans for a church building. A Board of Trustees made up of W. W. Andrews, J.W. Bailey, J.H. Lifsey and W.C. Golding (current TFUMC member Scott Golding’s grandfather) was elected to find land suitable to the congregation. An acre plat at a cost of $100 was bought from G. M. England. It was located on the old Lawrenceville Highway, which is now 4141 Bancroft Circle.
The wooden building was completed and dedicated in 1906. It had the traditional vestibule at the front and was heated by one wood burning pot-bellied stove. The members furnished the wood and brought it from home. By this time there were 100 members. In 1939, the church became a "station" which meant it no longer had to share a pastor with other churches on the "circuit."
Want to learn more about the history of Tucker First UMC? We have some great information and photos in our library gathered during our centenniel celebration.